I am an anthropologist with a specialism in conflict management, kinship, environmental resource management and computational methods. Since 1998, I have carried out longitudinal research in a village in northern Punjab, Pakistan. Throughout my research, I have sought to produce reliable empirical data and to analyse them using relevant and effective theory. I take it as axiomatic that complex phenomena require diverse methodological and theoretical approaches and so over the years I have used different research tools to address different parts of what I consider to be related problems. The parts of the problem are connected systemically in ways that can be surprising.
- President of the Society for Anthropological Sciences
- Fellow of the Royal Anthropological Institute
- Member of the Association of Social Anthropologists of the UK and the Commonwealth
- Treasurer of the Pakistan Studies Group
- Member of the American Anthropological Association
- Senior Research Fellow, Bloomsbury Pakistan